Alison Desmarais retires from short track speed skating ~ Passion/Patin/Vitesse - Passion/Speed/Skating

Pages

9 mai 2019

Alison Desmarais retires from short track speed skating


British Columbia's 21-year-old skater Alison Desmarais announced her retirement from speed skating yesterday.

By Jackob Savard
Photo: Bill Christ

The 2018-2019 season was Desmarais’s first on the international circuit as she took part in the first three World cup events held in Calgary, Salt Lake City and Almaty. At her first World cup event in career, she won a bronze medal in the ladies’ 3000m relay.

Here’s what she had to say about her retirement:

‘’After another incredible skating season I’ve decided to make it my last. From my first day on speed skates to my last day of racing my motivation has always been my all consuming love of the sport. This season I noticed my constant smile being replaced with daily uncontrollable tears and training felt more like a chore than a joy. I’ve always known, to me, sport is not worth the smile on my face or the joy in my heart, so although I still very much love this sport I also know it’s time for change. This is goodbye to high performance short track, but certainly not goodbye to skating all together, as I plan to stay involved with other aspects of the sport. At heart I am and likely always will be a short track speed skater!

I’d like to extend a massive THANK YOU to all the clubs/training centres I call home, to every coach I’ve ever had, to my sponsors and the communities around me, to my family, my friends who are more like siblings and all my teammates along the way. I can’t imagine where I’d be without every one of you and your support of me and my dreams. I’m so proud of where I came from and how far I went but mostly I’m happy that I loved the entire journey, here’s hoping I love the next adventure just as much!’’

Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter, follow our Facebook page, our Instagram account and our Twitter account for daily news and results about speed skating.

0 commentaires:

Publier un commentaire